|Personal Web :
||B.A. in Social Studies, magna cum laude, Harvard University, 1995
M.A. and Ph.D. in Sociocultural Anthropology, New York University, 1999, 2005.
|Work Experience :
||Sabancı University, Assistant Professor of Anthropology, 2005-present
|Areas of Interest :
||Sociocultural anthropology; globalization and transnational processes; migration policies and state governmentality; citizenship and belonging; postsocialism; undocumented migrant children and access to education; Eastern Europe; Turkey.
- International Research Visiting Award - Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Study, University of British Columbia 2014
- TUBA- GEBIP (Young Scholar) Award - TUBA (Turkish Academy of Sciences) 2011
- FASS Teaching Award - Sabanci University 2009
- Sylvia Forman Paper Prize for best essay, Association for Feminist Anthropology - American Anthropological Association 2004
- Dean's Dissertation Fellowship - NYU 2003
- Dissertation Fellowship - International Center for Advanced Studies, NYU 2003
- Marianne Lehner Rothe and Florence Edna Rowe Dissertation Fellowship - American Association of University Women Educational Foundation 2003
- Regional Associate Fellow, NEXUS - Centre for Advanced Study, Sofia 2002
- Annette B. Weiner Fellowship - New York University, 2001
- Dissertation Research Grant - Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research 2001
- Dissertation Research Grant - Social Science Research Council, 2001
- Feminist Studies Best Essay Award - Feminist Studies (journal) 2000
- APLA Paper Prize - Association of Political and Legal Anthropology 1999
- Gender/Area Studies Summer Research Grant - Ford Foundation 1999
- MacCracken Fellowship, - New York University 1996
- B.A. thesis honors, magna cum laude - Harvard University 1995
- Agassiz Scholarship - Harvard University 1991
||American Anthropological Association
American Ethnological Society
Society for the Anthropology of Europe
Association for Feminist Anthropology
|Parla, Ayşe and Özgül, Ceren (2016) "Property, dispossession, and citizenship in Turkey; or, the history of the Gezi uprising starts in the Surp Hagop Armenian cemetery", Public Culture, Vol.28, No.3, 617-653 (AHCI)|
|Parla, Ayşe (2013) "Protest and the limits of the body", Cultural Anthropology Online: Fieldsights - Hot Spots (SSCI)|
|Parla, Ayşe (2011) "Labor migration, ethnic kinship, and the conundrum of citizenship in Turkey", Citizenship Studies, Vol.15, No.3-4, 457-470 (SSCI)|
|Parla, Ayşe (2011) "Undocumented migrants and the double binds of rights claims", Differences: A Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies, Vol.22, No.1, 64-89 (SSCI)|
|Parla, Ayşe (2009) "Remembering across the border: postsocialist nostalgia among Turkish immigrants from Bulgaria
", American Ethnologist, Vol.36, No.4, 750-767 (SSCI)|
|Kaşlı, Zeynep Ülker and Parla, Ayşe (2009) "Broken lines of Il/Legality and the reproduction of state sovereignty: the impact of visa policies on immigrants to Turkey from Bulgaria", Alternatives: Global, Local, Political, Vol.34, No.2, 203-227 (SSCI)|
|Danış, Didem and Parla, Ayşe (2009) "Nafile soydaşlık: Irak ve Bulgaristan Türkleri örneğinde göçmen, dernek ve devlet
", Toplum ve Bilim, Vol.114, 131-158 (NA)|
|Parla Alpan, Ayşe (2007) "Irregular workers or ethnic kin? Post-1990s labour migration from Bulgaria to Turkey", International migration, Vol.45, No.3, 157-181 (SSCI)|
|Parla Alpan, Ayşe (2006) "Longing, belonging, and locations of homeland among Turkish immigrants from Bulgaria", Journal of Southeastern Europe and Black Sea Studies, Vol.6, No.4, 543-557 (NA)|
|Book Section / Chapter|
|Parla, Ayşe, "For us, migration is ordinary: post-1989 labor migration from Bulgaria to Turkey", Migration in the Southern Balkans: From Ottoman Territory to Globalized Nation States, van Boeschoten, Riki and Vermuelen, Hans and Baldwin-Edwards, Martin (eds.), Springer, April 2015|
|Papers in Conference Proceedings|
|Parla, Ayşe, "Göçmen kadınlar ailenin ve aile politikalarının neresindeler?", Boztekin, Nihal and Duffner, Ulrike and Sevim, Semahat (eds.), Başka Bir Aile Anlayışı Mümkün mü?, İstanbul, Türkiye: Heinrich Böll Stiftung Derneği Türkiye Temsilciliği, May 2014, 251-262|
SU Öncesi Yayınları:
- Forthcoming. “Property, Dispossession and Citizenship in Turkey, or, The history of the Gezi Uprising starts in the Surp Hagop Armenian Cemetery,” with Ceren Özgül. Public Culture. September 2016.
- 2011 “Labor migration, ethnic kinship, and the conundrum of citizenship in Turkey. Citizenship Studies 15(3-4, June): 457-470.
- 2011 “Undocumented Migrants and the Double Binds of Rights Claims.” Differences: Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies. 22(1): 64-89.
- 2011 “Longing, Belonging and Locations of Homeland among Turkish Immigrants from Bulgaria.” How to think about the Balkans: Culture, Region, Identities, ed. A. Kiossev, Next Page Publications. Reprint in Bulgarian of 2006 article
- 2009 “Broken Lines of Il/legality and the Reproduction of State Sovereignty: The Impact of Visa Policies on Turkish Immigrants from Bulgaria,” with Zeynep Kaslı. Alternatives: Global, Local, Political 34 (2): 203-227.
- 2009 “Nafile Soydaşlık: Irak ve Bulgaristan Türkleri Örneğinde Göçmen, Dernek ve Devlet,” [Ethnic Kinship in Vain: Turkish Migrants from Iraq and from Bulgaria, Migrant Associations and the State],with Didem Danış. Toplum ve Bilim (Science and Society) 114: 131-158.
- 2009 “Irregular Workers or Ethnic Kin? Post-1990s Labour Migration from Bulgaria to Turkey.” Bulgarian Folkore 2: 49-69. Reprint in Bulgarian of 2007 article.
- 2007 “Irregular Workers or Ethnic Kin? Post-1990s Labour Migration from Bulgaria to Turkey.” International Migration 45 (3): 157-181.
- 2006 “Longing, Belonging and Locations of Homeland among Turkish Immigrants from Bulgaria.” Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies 6(4): 543-557.
- 2003 “Marking Time along the Bulgarian-Turkish Border,” Ethnography 4(4): 561-575.
- 2001 “The ‘Honor’ of the State: Virginity Examinations in Turkey,” Feminist Studies 27:1 (Spring), 65-89.
Inclusions in refereed journals and encyclopedias
- 2013 "Protest and the Limits of the Body." Fieldsights - Hot Spots, Cultural Anthropology Online, October 31, http://www.culanth.org/fieldsights/403-protest-and-the-limits-of-the-body .
- 2012 “Bulgaria, migration, late-19th century to present,” with Maria Stoilkova in The Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration, ed. Immanuel Ness, Wiley-Blackwell.
- 2006 “Virginity: Discourses and Practices: Turkey.” Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures. Leiden: E.J. Brill.
- 2005 Women, Gender and Honor in Turkey and the Caucuses.” Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures. Leiden: E.J. Brill.
- 2015 “For us, migration is ordinary’: Post-1989 labour migration from Bulgaria to Turkey,” in Migration in the Southern Balkans: From Ottoman Territory to Globalized Nation States, eds. Hans Vermeulen, Riki van Boeschoten, Martin Baldwin-Edwards (eds.). IMISCOE Book Series: Springer
- 2014 “Göçmen Kadınlar Ailenin ve Aile Politikalarının Neresindeler?” [Where Are Migrant Women in Relation to the Family and Family Policies?] in Başka Bir Aile Mümkün Mü? [Is Another Family Possible?], eds. Ulrike Dufner and Semahat Sevim. Heinrich Böll Stiftung.
- 1995 “Anlatilar, Duvarlar, ve Direnis Sesleri: Aykiri bir Mekan Olarak Mor Cati” [Narratives, Walls, and Voices of Resistance: Mor Cati as a Dissident Space,” in Evdeki Teror: Kadina Yonelik Siddet [The Terror at Home: Violence Against Women], ed. Mor Cati Collective. Istanbul: Mor Cati Yayinlari
- 2007 Review of Nostalgia for the Modern: State Secularism and Everyday Politics in Modern Turkey by Esra Özyürek. New Perspectives on Turkey