Dear prospective applicants,
This year there will be two rounds of applications for the MA Program in Cultural Studies.
Early application deadline: Jan. 20, 2009
You may choose to apply on either round (you cannot apply on both rounds).
For early applications, everything in the application package (including the statement of purpose, the writing sample, the official transcript, and the recommendations) should reach us by January 20th.
Application Documents and Requirements for the MA Program
1. On-Line Application Form: All application material (except for the sealed recommendation letters and the official transcript) should be submitted online before January 20th. For the online application form: https://admission.sabanciuniv.edu/suwebadm/usop/registration.do?ts=new
2. Official Transcript: Should be sealed and taken from the Student Affairs of the applicant's university indicating the courses and grades taken.
3. Two Letters of Recommendation: Should be sealed. In addition to the form provided by Sabancı University (http://www.sabanciuniv.edu/eng/ok/basvuru/lisansustu/documents/letter.doc), we would appreciate a separate letter from the recommender, discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the applicant.
4. One Photograph
5. Science Test Score Result: LES/ALES or GRE test results (taken within the last 2 years) should be submitted. Photocopies are acceptable for application, but original copies should be submitted during admissions.
ALES and LES are national Graduate Education Exams and are compulsory for Turkish citizens who have not taken the GRE or GMAT.
LES/ALES Numerical, Equal Weight or Verbal: LES min. score 45; ALES min. score 55
GRE Quantitative: min. score 610
6. English Proficiency Exam Result: TOEFL or IELTS test results (taken within the last 2 years) should be submitted. Photocopies are acceptable for application, but original copies should be submitted during admissions.
TOEFL Min. score: 83 (internet-based test), 220 (computer-based test), 557 (paper-based test)
IELTS Min. score 7,0
Applicants who have not submitted a valid English Proficiency Exam result may be admitted to the program on the condition that they get a satisfactory grade from the Sabancı University English Language Assessment Exam (ELAE).
The graduates of Sabancı University are exempt from the English Language Assessment Exam within 2 years of graduation.
7a. Statement of Purpose
Please submit a 2-3 page statement of purpose (no longer than 1500 words) that explains your research interests and discusses your reasons for wanting to study at the Sabancı University Cultural Studies Program.
b. Writing Sample
This should be an academic writing sample (maximum 25 pages) that reflects your strengths and gives us a good indication of your writing and analytical skills. The writing sample should be a single-authored, original piece of work.
The statement of purpose and the writing sample play a key role in the admissions process.
8. Other Requirements:
After the admissions committee reviews all applications, a short list of applicants will be invited for an interview. The interviews will take place on February 9th and February 10th. The applicants will be notified about the interview schedule by February 6th.
For More Information:
If you have specific questions about the Cultural Studies Program or the application process, please write to Ayşe Gül Altınay: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants can submit their application packages in person or send them via mail to the Student Resources Office. Applications sent by email are not accepted.
All the required material should reach Sabancı University by January 20, 2009.
Student Resources Office
Öğrenci Kaynakları Birimi
Tel : (216) 483 9093
Fax : (216) 483 9073